The DreamStation BiPAP Pro Machine from Philips Respironics monitors breathing patterns to detect early signs of an event. Advanced features such as SmartRamp and EZ-Start are incorporated into the design to adjust the user to the prescribed pressure at the on-set of therapy. Humidification is used to comfort the user by pulling moisture from the water chamber to create heated air during therapy. For results, connect the machine’s Bluetooth to a personalized DreamMapper app account. DreamMapper is available on Apple products with iOS 6 or newer as well as Android products 2.2 or newer (Apple and Android products not included).
- OPTIONAL Heated Humidifier
- Bluetooth Connection to DreamMapper App
- EZ-Start Technology
- Bi-Flex Pressure Relief
- Ramp and SmartRamp
- Advanced Event Detection
- LCD On-Screen Display
- Convenience Features
- Philips Respironics Dry Box
- System One Resistance Control
- Detailed ‘Setup Menu’ Options
OPTIONAL Heated Humidifier
Respironics’ DreamStation Heated Humidifier is a OPTIONAL addition to CPAP therapy. Integrate the machine and humidifier to help relieve dryness and congestion. With the unique ‘Preheat’ feature, the humidifier can begin warming the water chamber 30 minutes before the intended use. Ensure the blower is turned OFF and the humidifier is connected before selecting to preheat the device.
The DreamStation device has the flexibility to be updated while in operation. Use the control dial to change the tube temperature or humidification settings. Please Note: The screen does not have touch screen capabilities.
Bluetooth Connection to DreamMapper App
The DreamStation CPAP has a built-in bluetooth connection which allows the device to pair directly with the Philips Respironics DreamMapper mobile and web-based program. Enable the bluetooth feature and download the SleepMapper app onto a smartphone or tablet (not included) to begin reviewing detailed sleep results. The free app gives the user the opportunity to personalize the data tracking account. Please Note: The results are only available on one device at a time.
The EZ-Start feature is designed to reduce the user’s prescribed pressure setting during the first 30 days of operation. The intent is to adjust the user to the pressure by beginning with half of the prescribed pressure. Please Note: A minimum pressure of 5cm H2O is required to use the EZ-Start feature.
After obtaining a successful session of 4 or more hours of sleep, EZ-Start will gradually increase the pressure by 1cm H2O. This process will continue for 30 days until the user reaches their recommended pressure. If the goal is not met before the first 30 days, EZ-Start is designed to begin increasing 1cm H2O per day until reaching the prescribed pressure. At the prescribed pressure, the machine will move into normal CPAP mode. To enable or disable EZ-Start, the machine must be in CPAP mode.
Bi-Flex Pressure Relief
Bi-Flex is a pressure relief feature used to create a more natural breathing pattern during CPAP therapy. The DreamStation BiPAP Pro uses Flex Technology to provide relief during three points in the breathing cycle. Pressure is reduced by 0.5 increments during the transition from exhalation to inhalation, inhalation to exhalation, and during exhalation. The Bi-Flex setting can be adjusted up to 1.5 cm H2O for maximum comfort.
Ramp and SmartRamp
Ramp and SmartRamp are both designed to gradually adjust the user to CPAP therapy. Though the Ramp features are similar, there are a few differences between the two options.
- Ramp is intended to gently increase CPAP pressure from half of the prescribed pressure to the full pressure within a chosen period of time. To operate the Ramp feature, a CPAP pressure of 4cm H2O is required. Then, choose a time ranging from 5 minutes to 45 minutes to allow the machine to build the pressure in increments of 0.5cm H2O before reaching the prescribed pressure.
- In BiPAP mode, SmartRamp uses an Auto algorithm to balance lower inhalation and exhalation pressures. The device begins the Ramp process with a reduced exhalation pressure. Changes to the pressure are made on a breath by breath basis, until an event is detected. Once the BiPAP Pro detects an event, the machine will return to the BiPAP mode in order to deliver the recommended EPAP and IPAP. If the minimum prescribed pressure is not reached before Ramp is complete, the pressure will increase by 1 cm H2O each minute until the device reaches the recommended pressure.
Advanced Event Detection
PR uses a patented algorithm to monitor breathing patterns implemented to respond to abnormal pressure changes. The Auto-Trak system in this machine measures variable triggers and cycle thresholds to automatically adjust the pressure and compensate for leakage. This machine is designed to act proactively by identifying aspects of the breathing cycle.
Upon detecting an event, the REMStar Auto algorithm is set to respond by automatically adjusting pressure levels to clear the apnea. Within a few seconds, the DreamStation BIPAP Pro begins pulsing a series of pressures to determine if the apnea has been cleared.
DreamStation BiPAP Pro responses include:
- Proactive Performance: Proactive performance recognizes and controls early symptoms of flow limitation, which can lead to an actual obstruction or apnea. The Auto algorithm uses two airflow measurements to prevent pressures from becoming too high.
- Leak Management: The DreamStation BiPAP will monitor mask leaks and compare results against an expected leak rate. Pressure is adjusted automatically as needed to help maintain therapy pressure to the user, including the ability to reduce pressure to help re-establish a mask seal.
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea: OSA is defined as events that reduce 80% of airflow for a minimum of 10 seconds.
- Hypopnea: A hypopnea is an event that reduces 40% of airflow for a minimum of 10 seconds.
- Flow Limitation: Flow limitation is measured through four different baselines of the breathing waveform: Roundness, Flatness, Peak, and Shape.
- Vibratory Snoring: Snoring can sometimes imitate a hypopnea event. Advanced detection allows this machine to measure vibrations and partial airway blockage.
- RERAs: Respiratory Effort-Related Arousals differ from a hypopnea or snoring event in that a RERA shows increasing respiratory effort with each breath, culminating in a shift in brain wave activity and not necessarily a result of obstruction. Periodic breathing conditions such as Cheyne-Stokes respiration and central apneas are distinguishable from obstructed apnea or snoring events.
- SmartRamp: SmartRamp helps manage apnea events while users attempt to fall asleep. This DreamStation BiPAP Pro device can react to an event as the Ramp is progressing.LCD On-Screen Display
PR’s DreamStation Series was built with a simplistic and practical LCD screen. While the User Interface is in use, the screen is well lit. As the lights in the room are dimmed, the screen’s sensor is designed expel the light from the screen. Please Note: The control dial is used to view the menu. The screen does not have touch screen capabilities.
Sleep results are posted on the User Interface to display results and goals for sleep therapy.
- The first screen accounts for a “Three Night Summary” which is determined after 12pm on the third day of treatment. Refer to the User Interface to view the results as they update each day.
- Daily sleep compliance results are provided after the most recent session. If the user sleeps 4 or more hours, the session is considered successful, rendering a green bar on the right side of the screen. If the user does not reach the anticipated 4 hour mark, the therapy will be noted by a yellow bar in the right corner of the screen.
- The second screen is in place for the first 90 days unless the sleep goal is met before the completion of this time. The data details the number of compliant nights recorded over the previous 30 days. A minimum of 21 successful four hour nights is needed to reach the 70% desired goal in order to surpass the screen before the end of 90 days.
- Mask Fit Check: This feature will provide airflow to the mask and display if leaks are detected in the mask. As the mask is adjusted the machine’s display will update to advise if a proper fit is detected.
- Auto On/Off: The DreamStation BiPAP Auto can detect if the user has their mask on or off and will begin or stop therapy accordingly, if enabled.
- Regular Alerts/Reminders: Every 30 days the machine will show a reminder to change filters.
Philips Respironics Dry Box
Dry Box technology was created to help reduce the chance of water damage when the OPTIONAL humidifier is used with the DreamStation machine. In the instance that water may escape from the chamber, the Dry Box is designed to trap the water within the walls of the unit to prevent water from traveling throughout the machine and humidifier connection. Additionally, the air outlet port uses a one way valve to prevent water from exiting the water chamber and entering the machine. The air outlet port is located on the top of the water chamber to help minimize total water displacement.
System One Resistance Control
System One Resistance Control was developed by Respironics to help their machines reach the optimal pressure by using a numbering system which allows the CPAP device to recognize the mask. It achieves accuracy and reliability by instructing the device to compensate for the specific mask type. Please Note: PR masks are the only masks designed with a resistance control number, so this machine feature is only compatible with Philips Respironics masks.
Detailed ‘Setup Menu’ Options
Scroll through the User Interface using the control dial. The “My Setup” section allows the user to enable a variety of features found on the DreamStation device.
- Ramp: Choose the time in which the machine will gradually adjust the user to the prescribed pressure.
- Flex: Select between 3 flex settings intended to decrease the pressure upon exhalation.
- Humidification: Determine the humidity level by selecting a number from 0 to 5. Level 0 represents humidification that has been turned OFF, while Level 1 is the lowest form of humidity and Level 5 is the most significant level of humidity. Also, the DreamStation Humidifier can deliver different humidification modes: Fixed Humidification, Adaptive Humidification, and Heated Tube Humidification.
- Tube Type: Specify the type of CPAP hose being used with the machine. The setting will correspond directly to the diameter of the hose, whether it is 22mm or 15mm. A separate setting can be selected by those using a 15H Heated Tube.
- Modem: Use the screen to control the modem. If the modem is switched to OFF, it will automatically turn ON again after 3 days.
- Bluetooth: Enable the bluetooth option to transmit sleep data from the machine to a personalized DreamMapper account.
- Time: Use this option to change or update the display time in increments of 30 minutes from this screen. The default setting is Greenwich Mean Time.
Return On Warranty Issues Only